4/17/13

Epic Provo

You may have heard that earlier today it was announced that Google would be bringing Google Fiber to Provo. Assuming I get a job that will allow me to live here in the long term this is great news. They are buying up the controversial iProvo network already in place and upgrading it to meet current technology capabilities.

I had nothing better to do so I attended the announcement. It was very cold and windy.
Naturally the mayor drew out the announcement as long as he could much to our annoyance. We love him though--you don't get 93% approval by just looking nice.

The Governor made some remarks including how this was "gooder" then our current network and how excited he is for the "gigaspeed" capabilities.

Kevin Lo from Google then got up and gave a wonderfully eloquent and corporate speech about how this step is equivalent to moving from dial up. He also made the poetic and oft quoted line "broadband will flow like water." 
Who wants a shirt?
We ended up getting interviewed by the Daily Harold. We had acted as a wind break for the reporter on scene and in return she took our statements. I probably geeked out a little in my interview and may have called Mayor Curtis my man-crush so we'll see how I come across when it gets published.

1 comment:

  1. Is the Daily Harold the Provo paper? More importantly, is it printed in purple crayon? :)

    ReplyDelete