4/8/13

Belated Birthday Gift

Its a known fact that I have a small passion for maps and map related items. In my more pinteresting days I had an entire board dedicated to them. About seven months ago I stumbled on a pin detailing how to make a wooden world map.
Source: thehappierhomemaker.com
I mentioned it to my Mother--mostly to use her crafting experience as a gage for difficulty. I pinned it as a future task for when I had walls of my own to decorate.

My birthday was in January and my Mother mentioned that she was working on an elaborate project for my gift but it wouldnt be done until a few months after my birthday. I was satisfied with a card but I settled on that idea of getting a quilt or other useful item coming from her excelled seamstress skills. It turns out she remembered the map and even improved on the idea.

All the water has been chiseled down slightly giving the land a raised edge for a wonderfully sense of depth and texture and the choice of a triptych presentation adds a stronger visual interest.

A big thank you to both of my parents for such a great gift.

Additionally, thank you to the other family members who assisted in carving it, namely: Mike, Kathlene, Debbie, Kevin, Justin, Tanis, and Rowan. (AND SETH)
Morikami Gardens, December 2000

5 comments:

  1. You do have a wonderful mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really cool - if I had as much dedication as your mom I would make one! An maybe one day I will! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people asked my Mother for a map of their own and she said she'd only do it for $10,000 due to all work it took.

      Meaning, I have a $10,000 piece of art.

      Delete