3/17/13

This is a cultured blog.

I've sat in front of my computer for entirely too long trying to figure out a clever way to say how wonderful the weather has been this past week. The gist is that I wore shorts, laid in the sun, relaxed on the porch, and had a picnic in the park; it appears that the Groundhog got it right this year. Yesterday was so nice, my neighbor and friend Kersti joined me and did her homework on the porch.
Bowls for Humanity
Friday was the Utah County Food and Care Coalition's annual Bowls for Humanity event. The idea is that visitors come and purchase a variety of donated handmade ceramic bowls and partake of delicious soup in the name of supporting the foundation. I ended up getting a pretty cool bowl plus soup for $10 and it was a nice excuse to eat a meal outdoors.

As more evidence of how cultured I am (in case the cardigan didn't make it obvious) I got a new pair of glasses in the mail yesterday and went to a banquet discussing world poverty. The banquet was interesting in that they divided attendees randomly into socioeconomic classes and the bottom 70%, myself included, ate from communal bowls of rice and beans. The lecture focused on the inbalance of poverty in relation to women and how investment in a woman's education has a much more profound effect on the culture as she is more likely to reinvest into her family. It was an educational lecture and made me yearn a little bit for my college days.

Also I'm growing a beard again, we'll see how long it lasts.

3 comments:

  1. hunger banquet!!! what a hip thing to go to. one year i was in the second-world section and all we got was gross pizza, i would have way rather eaten beans and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw that BYU Catering was proving the food for the other classes I too felt I got the better deal.

    ReplyDelete