3/26/13

Rexburg

On Thursday my sister Suzanna flew into Salt Lake and we road tripped together up to Rexburg to visit my other sister Allison for the weekend. Allison planned a full agenda for us including campus events and social affairs which kept us busy.
Priorities: We ate at Taco Bus as soon as we arrived.
Allison brought us along to a little social gathering she has with her friends called Art Night--where all the fancy art people draw pictures on a theme or collaboratively. It was incredibly intimidating but I pushed out a drawing of the Mona Lisa which ended up looking like my teenage mother.

We went on a full campus tour and Suzi was continually surprised about the strict rules they have at BYU-I and the culture of the Mormon homeland. On the drive up I would continually respond to these comments with "Welcome to the state of Deseret."

I found a parrot-friend in an unlocked room.

Pottery Class
I cooked a few meals while I was there too including this amazing (vegan) soup that my good friend Tallia sent me awhile back. I don't take pictures of my food so just know that its pretty as well as delicious and received high praises by everyone.

    Corn and Sweet Potato Soup
    5-6 cups of vegetable broth
    2 sweet potatoes
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion (diced)
    2 garlic cloves (crushed)
    2 tsp cumin (I also added a dash of paprika)
    1 small red chili or jalapeno (chopped)
    1 red bell pepper (chopped)
    1 lb corn kernels (roasted ideally)
    Salt and Pepper

      ● Saute the onions until soft and slightly brown.
      ● Add the garlic and jalapeno and let fry for about ten minutes.
      ● Add 1 1/2 cups of broth and simmer for ten minutes.
      ● Add cumin, paprika, and sweet potatoes, let simmer for ten minutes.
      ● Add bell pepper, corn, and remaining broth. Simmer until potatoes are soft.
      ● Lightly puree the soup with an immersion blender.
      ● Top with lime (delicious), fresh cilantro, tortilla chips/strips, and avocado.


We finished our trip with watching Allison preform in a cover band competition where she ended up winning and getting interviewed by the school newspaper. Below is the video of their performance and at 2:50 my sister adjusts her glasses on camera.


Woah--back to normal. Rexburg was fun but I'm glad I don't live there; its so cold.

2 comments:

  1. i am honored to get a link and the word "good" before friend. this soup is so good. and rexburg is weird but isn't utah the state of deseret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deseret included pretty much all of nevada, arizona, and some of colorado, idaho, and california. it was huge, mormons just spread all over.

      Delete