1/25/14

Winter in Utah

I have lived in Utah for the past nine years and the only winter sport I had participated in was sledding. This has caused me to be incorrectly classified as "not an outdoorsy guy" when really the only thing I don't like about the outdoors is sleeping on the ground. 

My resume has finally gained some Winter experience with some snowshoeing. I took one picture but it was unflattering to everyone involved.

Sarah's ward took us up the canyon which was a perfect time to try it since most people there probably wouldn't have any idea what they were doing just like me. It was quite easier then I expected and since I was one of the few people to wear waterproof boots I got to walk people across log bridges like that pioneer guy in 17 Miracles (only without the death part).
This picture isn't from New Years, we just really like 2014.
Winters in Utah have actually become a hot-button issue with the increasingly severe inversion. It occasionally gets so bad that I start feeling sick and light headed if I'm outside for too long. So we did what countless other movements have done, we marched on the Capital.
It was my first rally and Sarah and I went woefully unprepared. Volunteers were kind enough to give us some great masks to wear and some pre-printed signed to wave at the speakers. We yelled, sang, and some guy even got arrested in true democratic fashion. Ultimately I felt the message was a little muddled but it was a fun experience--next time I'm bringing a chair.

Since we were already in Salt Lake City, Sarah and I spent the rest of the day walking around town. The Leonardo Museum had an exhibit on the Dead Sea Scrolls which was fantastic and I would recommend it to anyone who has an interest in the historical context of the bible.

In unrelated news, some of you may remember I did a Secret Santa exchange for Christmas with about 100,000 other people in which I netted the plant which now sits on my desk at work. I am doing it again only this time its just an apron exchange. My match is in the Netherlands and this is the quilted design I'm thinking of, the back would be all black which I just realized would make it reversible.
This will be the inaugural project on my sewing machine from my parents! I'm eager to see what apron I get and where from. I have a month to finish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment